Friday, February 13, 2009

Kona, Fri February 13

So why did I take the time to muse and write about the above decision rather than just looking to the right (in terms of decision theory) and just get right out and enjoy Kona?  I think that bears some discussion. For one, I have been to Kailua Kona almost a dozen times so it is more of a second home to me than truly exotic. Also, admittedly, I am more of a thinker and a described than a doer. In the past, the problem was that my thinking would be so abstracted from experience that it was irrelevant. I think I have managed to fix that, now I make sure to experience things enough to make my commentary meaningful, but that I am still by nature more a thinker than a doer.

For instance, I am probably not going to be the guy that freedives to 100m (the current world record is 113m). I am the guy that may dive 60m and does a physiology study on the 100m guy, or writes an article about the sport for Outside Magazine.

In any case, I did get out of the condo and took a quick walk to the farmer's market, where I scored a butter avocado, three sherwil avocados, and a pound of rambutans.  It's the dead of winter in Kona, so the temperature is like 75F.  Traffic in town is crazy due to the long weekend! I saw a Model T Ford in the streets.  The surf is pretty pounding in Kailua.  However, we dive at Place of Refuge, which is generally safe from swell.

The condo  is right next to Jack's Diving Locker, and while the building is a little worn, the condo itself is quite nice, 1 BD 2 bath, quite a deal for $99/night plus tax I think. Since the condos are individually owned, they may vary in quality. This one is Kona Alii #209.

Now I am off to do my pranayama yoga (life force/breath practice) which I learned from Elle in LA. I'm thinking maybe eventually I can learn to control my heart beat.


*****

My loose goals for this trip, in order of importance are:

(1) become a certified instructor with Performance Freediving

(2) take a 15 second rest in the sand at the shallow buoy (45m/147 feet)

(3) do a 50m dive (167 feet) at the deep buoy (about 80m)

(4) complete a 100m underwater swim (no fins)

I just had dinner with Mandy, Kirk and Craig.  The local rental agency didn't have any cars, but Kirk was able to get a 12 seat minibus at the last minute from Thrifty, but not cheap.

No comments: