Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Marin County, California

My brother Bill lives right on Tomales Bay, near Pt. Reyes National Seashore in Marin County. West Marin is a phenomenal locus for local food. His house is steps away from Manka's, and right across the bay is Tomales Bay Oysters. I hope to lead a group of kayakers across the bay for an oyster BBQ as an Element Spice culinary event this spring or summer. Two other oyster farms, including the renowned Hog Island Oysters, are also in the area.

Oyster farming is consider the height of ecologically sound aquaculture practice, in addition to being a real treat. Since oysters are sessile organisms in the wild anyway, they are just as good, if not better, farmed. The Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch gives farmed oysters a green rating.


Bill went mushroom foraging this weekend, and got quite a haul of funnels, funnel chantarelles (yellow foots) , honey mushrooms and hedgehog mushrooms (the good are in this picture). Mushroom foraging is a bit scary, but he's a level-headed guy and plays it safe.


I picked up a copy of Marin Farm Families, Stories and Recipes, which was published by the Marin Agricultural Land Trust (MALT) last time I was in the area (at Toby's Feed Barn, in the town of Pt. Reyes Station). Much more on the culinary treasures of West Marin later.

Speaking of foraging, this video shows one of my favorite ways of getting a meal in Northern California, abalone diving. It's actually pretty easy for me, as I can hold my breath for six minutes.

No comments: