Thursday, January 24, 2008

Berkeley, California

I lived in Berkeley for many years, and always enjoy going back, as I did this weekend. Whenever I am there I can't resist stuffing my face-- it has so much to offer the foodie. I will write a lot more about Berkeley in this blog. One of the newest additions to Berkeley's gourmet ghetto is the Epicurious Garden, where I had ivory salmon nigiri at Kirala. On this trip I also stopped by Vik's Chaat House for samosas and picked up a kulich loaf (Russian Easter Bread) at Acme Bread Co. Vik's has associated warehouses. both retail and local, where most of the local Indian restaurant get their supplies. It's where I get my spices for the time being. On this trip I scored cassia and true cinnamon, black sesame, brown and yellow mustard seed, cloves, fennel, black pepper and cardamom seed (w/o the pods).

I just learned about a new place in Berkeley called Three Stone Hearth, which is a community supported kitchen/catering service. I can't wait to check it out, maybe volunteer for a day in the kitchen or attend a full moon feast.

No comments: